Log in
Log in



Maine Alliance for Road Associations

Should the State be Notified

  • 11 Sep 2023 9:44 PM
    Message # 13253142


    Our association recently converted from an informal to a Statutory Road Association. Should we notify the State of that fact?



  • 12 Sep 2023 6:10 AM
    Reply # 13253237 on 13253142
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

    No. There is no state registry for Statutory Road Associations.

    Forming and running your road association according to the provisions of 23 MRS §§3101 - 3104 allows your association to enforce the sharing of road maintenance costs according to §3104, Penalties and Process.

    Last modified: 12 Sep 2023 6:11 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)
  • 12 Sep 2023 9:21 AM
    Reply # 13253293 on 13253142

    Yes, there is no state filing status needed as you exist on a yearly basis. 

    The question I would ask is if you obtained an EIN from the IRS for banking purposes, under what status are you filing with the IRS? As a  business, as a not for profit, or as a non-profit?

    Obviously you are not a homeowners association but a statutory road (only) association, therefore you are not responsible to repair an owner's building or their driveways.

    This brings up another question; why do the insurance companies classify us as a homeowners association charging us a higher rate than just for the roads? Why aren't insurance companies paying to road associations for emergency road repairs? 

                            The Maine Alliance for Road Associations

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software